Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tips - use a timer to keep on track

In the early days, when you are in the depths of sleep deprivation and awake around the clock, it can be hard to keep on top of a pumping schedule or remember when you pumped last or should pump next.

One way to make it easier, is to get a cheap battery powered kitchen timer for your pump bag, something like this:



When you pump, you can use it to time your session - i.e. if you will be pumping for 15 minutes, set and start it when you begin pumping, and then you have one less thing to keep track of when you are already juggling pumping + entertaining baby + telephone ringing, etc.

Later on I continued to use the timer method when I was pumping at work or on my own. I found that when I was able to zone out and watch TV, read a book, or otherwise NOT focus on how much milk was adding up, I tended to get much better production than when I was stressing about it. Also, sometimes when I was nice and relaxed on my lunch hour, I'd forget when I had started if not for the timer going off :)

When you finish, you can set the timer for the remaining interval until you need to pump again - i.e. 2 hours and 45 minutes, and toss it back in your pump bag. When it goes off, you'll know it's time to hook up again, even if you can't remember what you did 5 minutes ago, let alone 3 hours :) Especially in this day and age when clocks and watches are disappearing, a timer can be VERY helpful!

What pumping tips do you have to share?

2 comments:

  1. I downloaded the "Milk Maid" app to my iPhone and it helped tremendously. It has a timer, reminders, and tracks daily pump volumes. It can even chart your volumes over time! You can also use it to track how much you have stored in your refrigerator and freezer and how much your baby is eating. I loved it! http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/milk-maid/id369466778?mt=8

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - the "Milk maid" app has been a lifesaver! When my daughter was in the NICU and I was completely sleep-deprived and brain dead, it helped me keep track of everything. I'm completely dependent upon it!!

    ReplyDelete