Monday, September 12, 2011

NOT Crying Over Spilt Milk...Anymore

I just returned from a short end of the summer vacation, during which my daughter started full-out crawling and pulling herself up in the crib. First order of business upon our return was lowering her mattress!

Which resulted in a grizzly find...

(don't judge me :)

I found a bottle of milk, about 3/4 full hiding under the crib.

For about 6 days.

Oops.

I can count on one hand the amount of milk we've wasted. I definitely guard my liquid gold well - usually. And in all previous cases I've cried or felt completely ill at the thought of such waste. So I guess this is a sign of growth! Even though my milk is gone and there's no more to replace any that is lost at this point (we're on the last box of my frozen stash right now), I was able to shrug, gag a little, and move on.

It wasn't always that way. Early on, one of the first times I left the house with The Cupcake, I set out from the house with 2 bottles and only returned with one. The other was probably left in a cart at Target or dropped in the parking lot, but it kept me up for DAYS. I had dreams that I found it in my car (which had been thoroughly checked), on store shelves, in the closet - and in my already sleep deprived haze, I couldn't always be sure I was dreaming until I checked again and again.

That sleep deprivation also resulted in a few spills while pouring bottles, which always ended up in tears. An ounce of milk brought at least 2 oz in tears. And there may or may not have been talk of divorce after my husband left 2 full bottles in the diaper bag for two days...

But now, even though I'm fully weaned and there is no more milk, there were no tears with this discovery. It was a bummer, but I'm okay. TC is okay. Life goes on. In retrospect, I wish in those early days I could have let the anxiety go and just roll with the punches more. Despite the pain and frustration of EPing, especially in the first few weeks, a bottle here and there were such small parts of our lives, it was hardly worth the sorrow.

Have you cried over spilt milk?

No comments:

Post a Comment